banner image

"Online Chess" - an excellent homemade project



The Internet Chess Table is a project for playing internet chess on a 3d board with real pieces.

For the display, a small DIY 20W-LED low-resolution (64x64px) LCD projector was developed. It is used for displaying the move of my opponent as well as to show me information about the game (e.g. time). Moreover, there is a move recognition system which gives me feedback of the recognized move on the display.

Move recognition works with an ultra cheap webcam (320x240px) which is also mounted inside the box.

Basically, this table could be interpretated as multi-touch surface. In the contrary to other systems which uses FTIR (frustrated total internal reflection) or DI (direct illumination), it depends on ambient light and the pieces are causing shadows on the surface which can be captured by the webcam. This further reduces the total costs, because no lightning is needed.

Display and Webcam are connected to the PC via USB and a self developed interface software is used for connecting everything together and for communication with freechess.org.

The video shows me playing a live 5min game on FICS ...

Unfortunately, Playing live blitz games on this Internet chess table gives me a disadvantage, because I have to play the moves of my opponent while my clock is ticking. That means, I have time disadvantage which could be severe in fast blitz games.

This Internet Chess Table playes on freechess.org with the nickname ictdev.
"Online Chess" - an excellent homemade project "Online Chess" - an excellent homemade project Reviewed by blogger on 4:28 AM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.